Patients' own hair is taken from back of scalp and transplanted over bald areas by follicular unit technique. This hair is permanent, grows normally, needs hair cut & shampooing. Also done over moustache, beard and eye brows. This is one of the commonest cosmetic surgeries performed. Baldness is usually hereditary and may be of male or female type. It can be done in any age & sex in an adult person. Transplanted hair is natural hair, which grows normally, needs hair cut, shampooing, can be transplanted in limited hair lost areas of eyebrows, moustache & beard also. This is a 5 to 6 hours surgery, done under local anaesthesia. Patient can move around, eat, drink & enjoy music and movies during hair transplant surgery. Operation is done under local anaesthesia. Donar hair is taken from posterior part of scalp & area is closed directly. The suter line becomes indistinct later. In FUT technique the area of scalp with hair is divided into small pieces called pluks (or follicles), each containing 1 to 4 hairs . They are transplanted over bald area. This is called Minimicrograph Technique & Follicular Unit Transfer Technique (FUT). The area is closed directly by a special technique called trichophytic technique. There is another technique called follicular unit extraction (FUE) in which hair roots are collected by making small punches which heals within few days. there is no linear scar.
1. In FUT following advance trichophytic technique, the scar on the back side in minimal and hair grows through it. FUE-multiple doted scars are not visible.
2. For smaller target upto 2000 grafts - any technique can be followed
3. For mega and giga sessions - 3000 to 6000 or more grafts in one sitting combined FUT+FUE gives better results.
4. As far as pain is concerned in FUT, pain in the day of surgery is within tolerable limit where in FUE, this is almost painless.
5. FUT takes relatively less time and cheaper compare to FUE hair transplant technique.
6. FUT and FUE can be combined with PRP which gives better survival of follicles, early growth and better results.
7. In FUT hair root transection is less than 5% and in fue it may be 10-20% depending on experience of the surgeon.
Patient start taking bath from the day after the hair transplantation. Anti Biotics and Mild Analgesics are given for first seven days. Minoxidil drops and vitamins is started after 2 weeks for 3-6 months time.
Initially transplanted hairs fall by 2-4 weeks time but the roots remain. All the transplanted hair's start growing by 3-6 months time. Once grown, they can be cut, shampooed and they even grow naturally after shaving.
If you want to go for hair transplant in Kolkata, Dr. Arindam Sarkar is the best. He is associated with Kolkata's big hospitals and also own a hair transplant surgery centre called ATRI Clinic located in South Kolkata.